Interview - Cyhra: A new breath of Heavy Metal

Per: Renato Sanson

Musician interviewed: Jake E (vocals)


“The Vertigo Trigger” brings a more mature and darker Cyhra. Intentional or consequence?

Hello! I am first of all extremely sorry for the late reply, your request ended up in my spam folder :-)

I must confess that I do not have a specific methodology for composing music. I do not write melancholic music when I am feeling low or upbeat music when I am in a cheerful mood. Rather, I create music that I would personally enjoy listening to.

Regarding the matter of maturity, I believe that with time and experience, we all discover a natural path for our progression, regardless of our profession. It is akin to a process of blossoming and growth, where we develop in our unique way.

Also features new guitarist Marcus Sunesson (ex-The Crown/Engel). Why add another guitar?

I think it would be interesting to hear Iron Maiden's take on that question! As for Jesper, he's still working on himself and dealing with social anxiety among other things. He put up a good fight for a year and a half while we toured for "Letters to Myself," but eventually had to step down from his live duties. We all agreed that we wanted to keep the band on the road, so Marcus was brought on as a live guitarist until Jesper was ready to come back. However, after two years, we all felt that Marcus was a great fit and should become a full-time member. Jesper will be back on bass when the time is right.

Cyhra's sound permeates between something more modern and melodious. Looking for something new, bringing a breath of fresh air to an environment that is difficult to innovate. What is the band's composition process like?

Throughout my life, I have always been driven to bring something new and exciting to the table. This desire extends to the music I listen to as well. Even if I once thought a band like Accept (which could be any band, I just picked one starting with the letter A) was cool in the 80s, I doubt I would listen to their old albums today. This is because I have vivid memories of how amazing their music was back then, and I fear that listening to it now would shatter my nostalgic recollections of how magical and perfect it was for me back then.

As a songwriter, I have come to realize that I have a tell, much like a poker player does. No matter how much I try to change my writing style, there will always be something that gives me away. However, I am always striving to avoid repeating myself and to create new music within the confines of what is known as the Cyhra box.

Cyhra sound's permeates between something more modern and melodious. Looking for something new, bringing fresh air to an environment that is difficult to innovate.

Throughout my life, I have always been driven to bring something new and exciting to the table. This desire extends to the music I listen to as well. Even if I once thought a band like Accept (which could be any band, I just picked one starting with the letter A) was cool in the 80s, I doubt I would listen to their old albums today. This is because I have vivid memories of how amazing their music was back then, and I fear that listening to it now would shatter my nostalgic recollections of how magical and perfect it was for me back then.

As a songwriter, I have come to realize that I have a tell, much like a poker player does. No matter how much I try to change my writing style, there will always be something that gives me away. However, I am always striving to avoid repeating myself and to create new music within the confines of what is known as the Cyhra box.

What is the band composition process like?

Cyhra is a band that does not have a specific way of writing music. The first album was written by myself (Jake E) and Jesper, and it was a collaborative effort between the two. No Halos in Hell, on the other hand, was mainly written by me, with some input from the rest of the band. The Vertigo Trigger was a team effort by all of us, with me being the captain and the director of the so-called metal orchestra. The band members worked together to create a unique sound that blends elements of metal, rock, and pop. They experimented with different instruments and sounds to create a dynamic and engaging listening experience for their fans. Overall, Cyhra is a band that values collaboration and creativity, and they are always looking for new ways to push the boundaries of their music.

Cyhra is a dream team of dreams. Highly qualified musicians. How do you avoid letting past influences affect the group's sound?

Jesper and I have maintained a close friendship for over a decade, and yet, each time we share a stage, I am struck with a sense of disbelief. Having grown up listening to his music, I am convinced that his influence on my songwriting has been more profound than any other source of inspiration. His status as a true legend is undeniable, and it is an absolute privilege to have the opportunity to perform alongside him and have our own band together!

 A third album is always a turning point in your career. How do you see this new album?

I strongly believe that our greatest advantage as a band is the fact that Cyhra's sound is a reflection of our unique backgrounds and experiences. Our individuality is what sets us apart from other bands in the industry. As I previously mentioned, I have always believed that there is a distinct style and tell in songwriting that is unique to each artist. This is something that we have been able to achieve with Cyhra, and it's something that we are proud of.

There have been so many times when other bands have copied our past concepts and styles. I find it flattering because it means that we are doing something right. We have been able to create a sound that is so unique and recognizable that other bands are trying to emulate it, with that said. why would we then wanna try to mask who we are as musicians or writers?

At the end of the day, what sets us apart is not just our sound, but also our passion and dedication to our craft. We are constantly pushing ourselves to create music that is authentic to who we are as individuals and as a band. And that's what makes us stand out in the industry.

To close, I would like to thank you and thank you very much for your attention! I hope to see Cyhra soon on Brazilian soil. The final space is yours!

Thank you for having me and I can't wait to come to Brazil to play for all our fans there! Please spread the word about Cyhra and make sure to bombard the festivals to book us!

 

Comentários